The Marshmallow Test
The greatest test ever conducted to find out who will be successful in future, was not any IQ test or any skill test. Rather it was a simple ‘marshmallow test’. It was conducted on a group of students who were each given a marshmallow at the beginning of the test. They were told that if they did not eat the marshmallow right away and waited sometime, they would get another marshmallow. Some students couldn’t control and ate the one marshmallow they had right away, while some waited and enjoyed eating two. It was studied that those who waited more patiently for double reward were the ones who were more successful later in life.
Value of Delayed Gratification
The marshmallow test proved that those who run after instant gratification without understanding the value of delayed gratification, do not achieve much success in life.
For example- Some people who are not financially stable, sometimes get lured by advertisements and buy something very expensive. This makes them even more financially weak.
This is one thing which is not seen in millionaires. Generally millionaires (other than people in show business) tend to spend money less than required. Any person can spend huge amount of money just to look rich for once, even if that empties their bank accounts. Millionaires spend money judiciously.
If You Have These 5 Signs You Are Destined to Become Rich
Let me tell you the 5 signs that are visible early in life of millionaires. If you have these or are working to possess these, you are on the way to become rich.
- Live below the means- Normally, people are offensive in spending money and defensive in earning. For example- if you tell them about a project which is good opportunity to earn, they might deny and say they do not have time for such things. But if you tell them about a weekend party they will be ever ready to attend it. Rich people on the other hand are defensive in spending and offensive in earning money. They live below the means and do not miss any opportunity to work. Remember, this doesn’t mean they are a miser. They simply invest wisely.
- Managing TEM- TEM means time, energy and money. Rich people know the value of all the three well and continuously manage and strive towards success.
- Will to be Economically Independent- If you earn or even think of earning something without your parents help, you will surely become rich one day.
- Target Opportunities- If you are always in search of opportunities and take actions to grasp opportunities on the way, you are on the right track.
- Choosing right occupation- It is observed that people who are self employed are 4 times more successful than people who work for others. This is because they are working for their own interests and goals which can never be a monotonous task. So they put their heart and soul for the purpose.