Draupadi Murmu: 5 Things to Know
Draupadi Murmu was recently elected as the President of India. Here are the top 5 things you need to know about Draupadi Murmu, who happens to be the first tribal President of India and second woman President of India.
- 15th President – Droupadi Murmu has been selected as the 15th President of India, has become the first person who belongs to the indigenous Scheduled Tribe Community, sweeping opposition party candidate Yashwant Sinha.
- Early Career– Before entering in Politics Murmu was a Junior Assistant at the irrigation Department of the Government Of Odisha. She worked there from 1979 to 1983 and then, worked as a teacher at the School Sri Aurobino Integral Education Centre, Rairangpur where she taught Hindi, Odia, Maths, and Geography.
- Beginning in politics – Her Political Career began with BJP in 1997, when she was chosen to be the councilor of the Rairanpur Nagar Panchaya. According to records, she won 2000 Odisha legislative Assembly election from Rairanpur Assembly constituency and served two times in the Odisha Legislative Assembly between 2000 and 2009. Plus, she has also been the Minister of State from March 6, 2000, to August 6, 2002 for commerce and Transportation and Fisheries & Animal Resources Development from August 6, 2002 to May 16, 2004.
- Her real name – She has been the first women to sworn in as the Governor of Jharkhand. Her real name is “Puti Tudu” but was later changed by her school teacher to “ Droupadi”, in addition to this, sources say that she was also named “Durpadi, and dorpdi” in early days
- Personal life– She is an Arts graduate of Rama Devi Women’s college, who believes in Brahma Kumaris Spiritual movement. Murmu had a husband, who was a Banker, two sons, mother, a brother, all of whom died except her daughter, Itishri Murmu. Droupadi is 64 years-old, was born in 1958, she came from a family of Village headmen employed by the Panchayati Raj System.
Despite the challenges she faced being a Tribal Lady, her tremendous win is an inspiration for the country and a portrayal of courage.
I am from Bareilly. Currently I am doing MA in Journalism & mass communication from Amity, Jaipur